There is something intriguing to me about keeping track of the context around a project that is itself simply the context of a thing. It is all very convoluted, but in the convolution there is clarity.

From the author...

Essentially, this blog is an opportunity for me to discuss the process of writing these stories from within the character of Matthus Sparrowblade. Forcing myself to think about why he would include this story, and what questions he would be having, helps keep me honest.

Monday, June 26, 2006

[From a book on Tubaloth]:
I have seen this before, though I cannot recall now where. What--or who?-- are "the Materials"?

[Evidently I found the answer, or an answer, later. The following was in newer, different ink]:
From an old scrap, I think probably older than the Migrations, and possibly even Eochaid. It still amazes me how much was lost, to everyone:

"In the vaults of mortality, the creation was thrust into the hands of the Materials. They are larger than even the highest snows of Mount Axi [I still am unclear where this is] and are terrible in their countenances. They are fundamental, or rather, elemental, for of them, in the embrace or dance in which they engage, come all the falling and settling and sleeping things of the world. To the meddling of the lesser mortals they are indifferent, instead working toward some vast, unknowable end of their own."

[I located the old scrap and found that I had also marked it with my pen]:
The Materials may be indifferent but it seems the folly of men to turn toward those who are always turned themselves away. I infer, rightly I believe, that it is the various cults to these grey beings that led to many of the great darknesses of the past. Was Kezhkaman one of these?

[And further down, from the same scrap]:
And the Avatars? There seems to be a relationship here.

No comments: