There is something intriguing to me about keeping track of the context around a project that is itself simply the context of a thing. It is all very convoluted, but in the convolution there is clarity.

From the author...

Essentially, this blog is an opportunity for me to discuss the process of writing these stories from within the character of Matthus Sparrowblade. Forcing myself to think about why he would include this story, and what questions he would be having, helps keep me honest.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

I came across an interesting comment while preparing the manuscripts of "Surety." There was a note in the margins that read, "The character lives in the margins of his duty." I found this a fascinating analysis. The character Achim is, I think, like many of us. So much of what people see in us, define us as, or remember us for is simply us doing our duty. Duty is like a sick cow. We need to see to it. We can't afford to ignore it. Somehow, our livelihoods depend on it, and yet it draws us away from our lives on a whim. In a way, we all live in the margins of our lives. The text is our duty, the margins is where we live.

No comments: